Webinar: Top 10 tips for managing sickness absence in GP practices and primary care
25th January, 2022
9:30 am - 11:00 am
This webinar is aimed specifically at Practice Managers and Partners in GP practices and primary care providers, who have responsibility for managing employee relations.
Register for your free place below.
GP practices or primary care providers often do not have a dedicated HR professional function. The responsibility for people issues usually falls on the Practice Manager and/or the Partners who may not have had relevant training. Dealing with employees and formal processes can cause stress through the uncertainty and concern that if the matter is not dealt with appropriately this will cause a potential liability in the form of an Employment Tribunal claim. However, employment law does not always need to be difficult and most issues with employees can often be resolved quickly and simply with some basic knowledge.
In this session we will be looking at some common questions about managing sickness absence and managing long COVID. The questions we will be covering are:
- Can you contact an employee when they are off sick? If so, when’s the best time to contact them?
- One of your members of staff is off sick with stress and anxiety. One of their colleagues has reported to their manager that they have seen pictures of them on Facebook and it looks like they have been at a family party whilst they are off sick. What should you do if anything?
- Do you need to do a return to work interview for every episode of sickness absence?
- Can an employee return to work if they still have a valid fit note?
- What happens if an employee is due to be on holiday whilst off sick? How do you treat their absence and what pay should they receive?
- Can you dismiss someone if they are off on long term sick for a reason related to their disability?
- What happens if someone refuses to allow you to see their Occupational Health report? Can you still dismiss someone for their sickness absence?
- What does a “duty to make reasonable adjustments” mean and does it apply to everyone in every situation?
- How to manage cases of long COVID.
- Can you adjust sick pay for those people who are not vaccinated?
Our speakers between them have over 40 years of experience of advising clients on healthcare employment related matters and have defended hundreds of Employment Tribunal claims. They act for numerous primary care providers and in particular GP practices. Through speaking to their clients, they understand the significant strain that practices in particular have been placed under because of the impact of Covid-19 on top of the pressure from the increasing complexities of regulatory and legal compliance both in terms of the services they offer to patients but also in relation to their employees.
The advice they give is specifically tailored to the sector; it is options based, practical and commercially sensible. Above all, the team are approachable and supportive.
You will be able to ask your own questions in advance via the registration form – register below – or you can use the Q&A feature in Zoom on the day.